Master Chef Season 2
The finals of Israel's version of the hit British series Master Chef airs Saturday night. The 3 male contestants were featured in a one hour special last night that gave the audience a little insight into who they really are.
Emanuel an El Al pilot, Avi a former addict and Eliav a wedding dress designer (right here in Tel Aviv!) are all charismatic, endearing, creative and great cooks!
The judges are chefs Jonathan Roshfeld of Herbert Samuel ,the ever uber linguistic chef Eyal Shani of Salon and Miznon fame, everyone's favorite Haim Cohen and food journalist Michal Ansky. Shani's quotes related to tomatoes are legendy and after seeing one of the competitor's dessert creations he remarked "It's so kitschy I just want to bury myself".
|European Sea Bass on Lentils prepared by Emanuel Rosenzweig|
Large onion, chopped
Large carrot, grated coarsley
Half spicy green pepper, seeded and chopped finely
2 Zucchini, cut in small cubes
Juice of one lemon + grated rind
1/2 cup each of cilantro and parsley
Juice of 1/2 orange
4 European Sea Bass fillets (or bass or whatever fish you like)
1/2 cup olive oil
Spoonful of yoghurt of creme fraiche for topping
What to do:
1. Wash and drain lentils.
2. Cook the lentils in a lot of water (at least 2.5 times higher than the height of the lentils in the pan) with salt and pepper (recipe doesn't give quantity - let's call it a dash of each) until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
3. Fry onions until clear.
4. Add carrots and after two minutes add the green peppers.
5. Add the zucchini and saute for two minutes.
6. When the carrtos are almost clear (makes sure the temperature doesn't get too high as to burn the onions or carrots) add the lentils and stirr for a minute or two.
7. Add the lemon juice, the grated rind and olive oil.
8. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. (you don't want the lentils to get mushy)
9. Remove from heat and add the herbs and orange juice.
13. Place a nice size serving of the lentils on the plate.
14. Place the fisn on top of the lentils with the skin side up.
15. Drizzle a spoonful of yoghurt or creme fraiche over the lentils.